Thursday, January 10, 2013

Orientation


Orientation finally! I thought orientation would be quick and easy, meet your instructors, get your books, get excited to start learning, and be on your way. Three hours later I left feeling a bit anxious.

Line Waiting Game

So the first step in orientation involved being corraled from one station to the next . . . go to Station 1, wait in line, check your school paperwork is in place, next.  Go to Station 2, wait in long line, check your financial aid paperwork is in place, next. Go to Station 3, wait in really long line, business department check, etc.  I thought they would have a better system in place like having already checked your individual status and when you check in for orientation, only send you to the departments that actually required something from you.  Obviously I have been away from school too long and my years of experience in the workplace have put me in the mind set of problem solving for solutions and efficiency.  Of course, my problem solving was for a better experience on behalf of the student, however, I am sure their system is in place for the benefit of the school/staff.  

Cheer Leading

After the line waiting game and all my checks were in place, I was sent to the orientation room for more waiting but I finally did meet my instructors and other members of the school staff.  They spent a lot of time on emphasizing if you have issues or problems you should communication with the school to help you through it, mostly about dropping from the school.  This left me with the feeling that it is a difficult program for people to actually complete program but this could have been just be for the benefit of the mostly "younger than me" student base. Although I am now envisioning an episode of "Hell's Kitchen" in my future. This portion of orientation had a lot of clapping of hands and shouting out in response to their repeated question of what your goal is "Graduation!"

Uniformity

So after the pep rally, they got down to business where I learned that they are apparently very strict on the dress code, especially on the culinary uniform.  They went through each detail of the uniform and what is required to be worn and not worn.  This is where orientation prior to 3 days before starting would have come in handy.  After receiving our schedule and assigned classrooms and instructor information, we were sent down to the book store to obtain our culinary books and gear. I walked into the book store ready to hand in my forms in exchange for my gear only to find that I was not up next and in fact the longest line yet was across the hallway waiting, so back of the line for me! Good thing I brought my Kindle. Once it was finally my turn, I found that the one size category fits all, doesn't fit so well . . . alterations required. Unfortunately I have a short waist so although I can adjust the hem line up 5" (not exaggerating), I am destined to wear the waistband rolled down 2" for the next year.  Not that alterations cannot be done to the waistband as well, but it requires removing and replacing the belt loops, 6 rows of stitching of the elastic on the waistband, removing and altering the pockets and removing and replacing the "not of any use to women" zipper they have sewn into the pants, not to mention the sewn in draw string.  If alterations are done, it will  not be done by me but a tailor.  In addition to the pants alterations who knew that finding a plain white T-shirt and plain black, non-slip, no holes, no mesh, no other color shoes for women would be so difficult?  On-line shopping may have to be my new best friend. Also destined in my future for the next year I will be wearing my hair in a ponytail 4 days a week because whether we are in class room or the kitchen, we are required to conform with the dress code policy at all times.  Yeah for me!  It is either that or I go military haircut.  This secondary option may be revisited at a later time.  At least the hats will only be required on days in the actual kitchen.   

Well we already received  home work so off to get started.  Class starts Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment