Saturday, February 23, 2013


FOOD AND BEVERAGE MANAGEMENT

February 19, 2013

We started the new session one day behind as yesterday was a holiday.  They did not account for it in the syllabus so we will be going really fast in class to cover an extra day of class in the next 2 days. The books are not in yet, so although we have required reading, we cannot do any of it. We will be given an assignment each day and assignments from Monday throughWednesday are due on Thursday.  Basically we are writing a business plan over the next 6 weeks.  Today's assignment was to come up with a concept restaurant based on research of current trends and businesses that are currently successful.  Luckily the bakery-cafe is huge right now so I was able to find the articles and information to back up my concept fairly easily. However this is a very time consuming process.  It took hours to do the research and generate the concept on paper. There will definitely be much more homework with the class than the last one.

I found out that I passed the Servsafe exam so I am now certified in food safety.  My grade for the class though have not been posted yet.

February 20, 2013

The teacher for this class is not a chef but someone who has had many years of experience in the restaurant industry.  Although his stories are insightful and can be interesting, I do not care for his teaching style. This is the only the second course he has ever taught before.  Luckily this is only for 6 weeks so will be a short time to endure. Today the assignment was location and demographics and also the menu analysis, extra assignment making up for a lost day. My concept is basically dessert bakery, cakes, coffees/teas and catering of the same.  I am required to come up with a name of the business to incorporate into the business plan. Any suggests for a business name?  


February 21, 2013

The class is moving really fast through the materials.  This is making it hard for the class to understand and grasp the concepts he has presented. Still no books. The teacher indicated maybe we will have them next week.  So it will 2 weeks of reading requirements to be crammed into 1 week to catch up if we get them next week.  Today the assignments for the week were due.  I was one of the only ones that completed the assignments because his directions and what he wants on the assignments are unclear and confusing and time consuming. I am winging it. I had to stand up and give a presentation to the class on my concept, target market, menu analysis and trends. That was not enjoyable to me to be the center of everyone's focus but class participation is part of the grade so I will have to endure for the next 5 weeks. 

On a positive note, I found out I did get an A in the Culinary Foundations so I am starting out good so far.









No comments:

Post a Comment